What Susie Wrote on My Blog

Susie said: I avoid these intimate interactions, second-guess everything I do, and am thin skinned and extremely private. I like live groups (once upon a time, before Internet, all groups were live, remember?) so that I can socialize without giving of myself. It all stays nice and superficial--er, easy--that way. And if I reveal too much, I disappear. Forever.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Today I realized that life is not about fun, but about satisfaction -- Saturday, March 25, 2006

Today I spent a lot of time trying to post pictures of my doggie adventures. I couldn't upload them.

And too, the muses haven't returned yet. I'm waiting on them to finish my last story. So tonight it's snacks again.
_____________________________________


Today I realized that life is not about fun, but about satisfaction. Fun is a diversion. It refreshes us for a time. But prolonged fun becomes empty. Satisfaction, on the other hand, fulfills us.


Solomon seems to back me on this in Ecclesiastes 2:1,2: " I said to myself, 'Come now, I will make a test of pleasure; enjoy yourself.' But behold, this also was emptiness. I said of laughter, 'It is mad,' and of pleasure, 'What use is it?' "


I'd been having a lot of fun and adventure lately (nobody plays harder than I), but I was growing empty. I'd neglected the thing I feel I'm meant to do because other things were easier, more exciting. But they didn't satisfy me deep inside.

Satisfaction comes from doing the thing God created us for. It's not a pro/con comparison where we weigh the benefits against the detriments, like There are six reasons to have a dog and four not to, so the dog wins. And it's not about us, like Let's see now, what can I do today that I enjoy . No, it's like No matter the cost, no matter the trouble, I must do this lest my lifeblood be drained from me and I shrivel and die.

The apostle Paul went through this. He says: "For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast about; for it is something I must do. Yes, woe to me if I don't preach the gospel (I Corinthians 9:16)."

Then he goes on to show that the work God calls us to is not always something fun or something we feel like doing:
"For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if unwillingly, I am entrusted with a commission (9:17)."

But like it or not, you know what that thing is inside of you, calling you. It's the thing that won't go away (The gifts and the call of God are irrevocable [Romans 11:29]). It keeps coming back to you after you've tried all kinds of other things (There are many plans in a man's heart, nevertheless, the Lord's counsel--that will stand [Proverbs 19:21]). And so you gotta do this thing, or else you'll never find satisfaction: when the party's over and the laughter quits, you'll still go to bed empty.

Since I'm so easily distracted by play and unrestraint (I cut loose too much), I took an idea from Deuteronomy 6:8: "And you shall bind them [God's commandments] as a sign upon your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

So I'm placing a poster that reads SATISFACTION aback my workspace. It'll remind me where my fulfillment lies and woo me away from futile pursuits. It'll spur me on and keep me singleminded, reminding me that nothing else satisfies.

So you want joy? Satisfaction? Attend to that call in your heart.

Gotta go buy some posterboard now. Bye!___________________________________

Here are some things from Ecclesiastes that Solomon said about work:

"I know that there is nothing better for them than to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as as they live; also that it is God's gift to man that every one should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil ( 3:12, 13)."

"I saw that there was nothing better than that a man should rejoice in his own works, for that is his lot. (3:22)."

And a favorite of mine. Work takes our mind off our troubles:" As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and power to eat of it, to recieve his heritage [some versions say to accept his lot] and and rejoice in his labor--this is the gift of God. For he will not dwell unduly on the days of his life because God keeps him busy with the joy of his heart. (5:19,20)."

posted by Susie Hovendick Chan

1 Comments:

  • At 6/30/2006 03:57:00 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    6 Comments:
    At Sun Mar 26, 11:45:35 AM CST, Rachel said...
    Great post Susie!! Definitely a good read for today. Thanks.


    At Sun Mar 26, 12:52:36 PM CST, Susie Hovendick Chan said...
    Thanks, Rachel. I get preachy.


    At Sun Mar 26, 10:42:25 PM CST, curious servant said...
    That was much more than a snack!

    Whew!

    I feel I need to loosen the belt a little.


    At Mon Mar 27, 07:35:24 AM CST, Elise said...
    That was a great snack. Thanks.


    At Mon Mar 27, 05:59:12 PM CST, Ralph's Homespun Headlines said...
    That was a GREAT post. Thanks.
    Ralph


    At Mon Mar 27, 08:44:47 PM CST, Susie Hovendick Chan said...
    Ya'll are nice to say such things. But surely you'd rather a story?
    ..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home