What Susie Wrote on My Blog

Susie said: I avoid these intimate interactions, second-guess everything I do, and am thin skinned and extremely private. I like live groups (once upon a time, before Internet, all groups were live, remember?) so that I can socialize without giving of myself. It all stays nice and superficial--er, easy--that way. And if I reveal too much, I disappear. Forever.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

All work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy -- Monday, March 27, 2006

In my last post I talked about getting on task with our life callings . Here's how my first day at it went. It's not particularly interesting, but maybe somebody will get inspired to get to work.
_______________________________

All work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy.

Dad used to quote me this when he thought I was overdoing the piano practice. It's true. It's only my first day of intense practice and already I'm dull. Oh well. It's a sacrifice.

Got in mucho hours today. Here's how:

1. I use a wind-up timer to keep me on track. Also I can gauge how much time I've put in. And I can visibly gauge how much longer I must endure. If long, then I think of ways to keep it fresh, such as changing the song, working on a more challenging part, or imagining an audience.

2. I set the timer for 1 hour. Break for 15 minutes.

3. I repeat till I drop (4 sets).

4. Afternoon break

5. Return for 2 more sets.

6. total: 6 hours practice

To keep on track, I've posted signs:


  • 1. In all labor there is profit (Proverbs 14:23).
  • 2. With God all things are possible (Matthew 19:26).
  • 3. Redeeming the time, for the days are evil (Ephesians 5:16).
  • 4. SATISFACTION
  • 5. The hand of the diligent shall bear rule, but the lazy will be put to forced labor (Proverbs 12:24).
I look to these for strength when I start sinking, thinking


  • What a stupid idea this is (SATISFACTION: only applying myself to my life's work will bring it)
  • I'll never amount to anything (With God all things are possible)
  • I'm tired. I don't know why I'm working so hard, anyway. I have plenty of time. (Reedeming the time, for the days are evil: A calamity (evil) might hit taking up my tomorrow or even next hour. The car could break down, an emergency might arise, a hurricane or a tornado might hit)
  • I can't see that I'm making any progress. What's the use? (In ALL labor there is profit)
  • I picked a stupid thing to give my life to. Where could all this work possibly lead? (The hand of the diligent shall bear rule, but the lazy will be put to forced labor).

posted by Susie Hovendick Chan

1 Comments:

  • At 6/30/2006 05:16:00 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    1 Comments:
    At Tue Mar 28, 08:05:20 PM CST, Rachel said...
    No doubt about it, you are Super Woman's (Karen) sister!!

    I think it's great though that you do that. I think I waste far too much of my time.
    ..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home